Tuesday, June 28, 2011

# 37 - 41: Stop Eating Like Crap

I'm combining all of these steps together because I feel like they all go hand in hand. This is already something I've been doing the last few weeks, and I think this is a great way to keep the ball rolling and maybe get some support/motivation from others.

The frustrating part about it is that I know how to eat well. I've been doing it for years. I recently ended a 3-year stint as a vegetarian, mainly because it was getting harder and harder with my schedule and I lost my resolve. Weaksauce, I know. Nothing makes me happier than a gorgeous Sunday morning at the farmer's market loading my bag with way too many fruits and vegetables that I've never even heard of or will be able to eat in a week before the next market.

But over the last year or so, work, reverse-commuting, skating, singing and grad school have made it almost impossible (in my warped mind, at least) to fit in cooking and food management and still have time with friends and fit in some sleep in there too. Overall, I have always been terrible at self care. And I've started to pay for it in terms of energy level and waist size.

But grad school is over, my commute has gone from over an hour each way to 10 min, and my motivation to get back in shape and be a better skater has finally brought me back around to the kitchen and I couldn't be happier about it.

I think part of the tricky part is not only getting back in the kitchen, but being inspired about it. And also trying to find what works best as a lean yet appropriate diet for one who likes to fancy herself now as an "aspiring athlete". The last few weeks a lot of my inspiration has come from Poppy Spock's blog (she's amazing!), and it's been a great start so far.

So, here goes nothing! Hope some of you will help keep me motivated and honest!

No comments:

Post a Comment