Saturday, July 16, 2011

Back2_6pack Health #41. Food Log

I had a concussion. To heal a concussion you sit in a quiet, dark, cool room for as long as possible. I think I made it a week before going stir crazy. You cant read, you can't watch tv, and you definitely can't exercise. I use exercise as a mood-booster. Without exercising, I can be very unpleasant to be around. I got very sad and since my brain wasn't quite working properly, I started eating a ton of junk food. Take-out, cookies, brownies, ice cream, anything that would temporarily boost those serotonin levels that had dropped since the concussion. And it became a habit.
A few friends and I pinky swore on my formerly broken and currently disfigured pinky to start being healthier. Here is my journey to regain my six-pack stomach.

The quest started off fantastic. I bought well-planned mealsat the grocery store. For about a week I kept a food log. Each day had almost the same foods throughout. The log went something like this: 1.5 cups of coffee, 1 egg over easy+ 2 pieces of toast. romaine lettuce salad+cashews olive oil and pepper. 1 glass lemon-ginger-echinacia juice. handful of blueberries, TraderJoes vegetable soup. Vanilla yogurt with blueberries. Multiply this by about 5 days.

I traveled up to my family's lake house for the 4th of July. My parents have stocked the place with the wonder ingredients for rootbeer floats and smores. I fell to temptation. Deep. We had stayed in Michigan for less that 24 hours and I had consumed 3-5 smores and 2-3 rootbeer floats. Wah-wah.
Ok, so that happened. Mistakes happen. I can get back on track again. Maybe the rule is, I have to eat healthy in Illinois. Out of state = anything goes.

I have been doing pretty well since the 4th. Yesterday I was tempted to go to the delightfully cheap (seriously, a gigantic chocolate cupcake for 80 cents!) Mexican bakery, but I stayed strong. And today I won in a stare down with the vending machine's Twix Bars.

I've been able to exercise and since we practice in a very hot practice space, I've been sweating off this unwanted dough overlay on my stomach. I am already regaining some definition.
Did you hear that? That's the first can of this sixpack being cracked open.

No comments:

Post a Comment