Saturday, July 23, 2011

Health #41. Summer heat.

I had gone many many days without the dreaded sugar. And then a heat wave hit. The kind of heat where you can't cook, don't want to eat and basically hate life. Enter ice cream. I had been talking about ice cream for a full 24 hours. Saying how I only want ice cream for dinner. One very hot night the roommate was heading to CVS for cigarettes and asked if i wanted anything. Ice cream. By the time he had walked back to our apartment, my dinner was sweating and soft and I ate half the pint before bed.
Ultimately, I don't regret having some ice cream on a very hot summer night. But it did start a downward spiral of sugar. I had the entire pint within 24 hours. And 2 visits to the Mexican bakery while at school. I had another stand off with the vending machine's Twix today. I imagine a wild west show down. I size the Twix up. My eyes squint as I read, 75 cents. D5. Timidly wiggle my digits near the pockets of my pants, where there's a george washington crumpled within. I extend my finger and poke the glass right in front of D5, "you're not worth my time, Twix. Get outta here!" Lifted my chin high, slowly rotated my shoulders and body towards the door and walked out, hearing imaginary and scary-as-shit spurs clinking as they hit the ground with each step.

No comments:

Post a Comment